BFDI, there are several references to real life things and other object shows.In
- In Take the Plunge, Firey shouts out "TROGDOR!" when trying to decide on the team name for what would become the Squishy Cherries, a reference to a iconic character from Homestar Runner.
- When the team symbols are first shown, there are similar to those found in the Total Drama series.
- In Are You Smarter Than a Snowball?, HTwins.net was referenced in one of Pencil's doodles, and also stating that she likes going to it.
- In Puzzling Mysteries, Coiny says he's contributing to "The Sound of Silence", which is the name of a song by Simon and Garfunkel.
- In Cycle of Life, there is a South Park reference mentioning the book Leopold "Butters" Stotch wrote called "The Poop That Took A Pee."
- In Insectophobe's Nightmare, Leafy's last line is a reference to Teen Girls Squad, one of the many spin-offs of Homestar Runner.
- In the first few seconds of A Leg Up In The Race while Leafy is walking it plays the Minecraft grass walk sound.
- In Gardening Hero, GLaDOS from Portal is mentioned in Leafy's niceness chart, under the level "Shockingly nice".
- "Shockingly nice" is a reference to the Portal 2 ending credits song, Want You Gone. GLaDOS says it in the first verse.
- In Rescission Leafy and Ice Cube fall off a very high cliff which could most likely be a reference to The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy episode Substitute Teacher where Pudding runs away after seeing his teacher attacked by Nergal J, and bumps into the janitor and falls out the school window where they also fall off a very high cliff.
- In The Glistening and Yeah, Who? I Wanna Know, before teleporting to Yoyleland with her map, Leafy says "Blue skidoo, we can too!" which is a reference to Blue's Clues, a children's show.
- Most of the time, Minecraft walking is heard when ever walking happens.
- In Yeah, Who? I Wanna Know, Book says "Hey! Wait..." three times, and each time she does, the camera closes in on her. This references the Homestar Runner toon "Strongest Man in the World".
- In Insectophobe's Nightmare 3, Nickel says "Well, I just know I'm going to lose..." which is a reference to Inanimate Insanity where that show's Nickel says "Well, I just know I'm going to win!"
- The episode title Zeeky Boogy Doog and Bomby's explosion after it's said in the episode are a reference to The Demented Cartoon Movie, where an explosion happened every time the phrase was said.
- In BFDIA 5b, Book uses the companion cube from the video game Portal.
- The character Dora herself is a reference to the TV show, Dora the Explorer, that was highlighted in her elimination in Insectophobe's Nightmare 3.
- In "Lick Your Way to Freedom", Nickel instructs Woody to dab after believing that the voters were up for elimination.
- In "Lick Your Way to Freedom", Nickel calls Woody his "Boyonocerus". It is unknown what the source of the word is but it somewhat sounds like "boi", a meme.
- In “Today's Very Special Episode”, Four does a dance move nearly identical to the floss, a popular dance move in real life.
- In "Fortunate Ben", Pen declares that his legal name happens to be Ben, but with the 🅱 emoji, referencing to the meme relating to the emoji.
- In "Questions Answered", Grassy flew into Donut's hole, the sound made is the Roblox death sound (or more commonly known as an "Oof").
- When the rest of A Better Name Than That fly into Donut’s hole, the Minecraft hurt sound plays.
- In “This Episode Is About Basketball”, Donut grabbed X and puts him on the floor to be host. When he puts X down, the balloon sound from the Microsoft operating system Windows XP is played. The sounds themselves from the operating system is a popular internet meme.
- In "Get to the Top in 500 Steps", the "Firey Underwear" music plays during the challenge.
- In "Get to the Top in 500 Steps", when Pie is exploded by Flower, the jump sound effect from Super Mario Bros is played.